Thursday, July 8, 2010

My well earned money is slipping through the cracks…

So here’s how it works. As I’ve said, I report my earnings in USD. Why? Because most of it comes in that way, and I spend most of it that way, too.

Now you’d figure if I were to report something Canadian, I’d to a quick conversion to American when I earn the funds so I can add it to the list. The only problem with that is when I go to spend it. You see, it’s not the exchange rate at the time of earning that matters, but the exchange rate at the time of spending.

I just rewarded myself by buying the Lifetime Membership at comicbookrealm.com (don’t worry, the site is still free, it just gives me a cool little badge). But when the transaction was over, I only had 0.65CAD left (0.62USD), instead of the $2.29 I should have had, according to my spreadsheet of earning and spending. Since most of the funds on paypal were CAD at the time, I got hit had on a terrible exchange rate.

Now don’t get me wrong, the rate has been excellent lately, but I guess I’ve just been getting too used to it. In total, I lost $1.67USD. I split it evenly among my Focusline and Lightspeed earnings since they were the only two CADs I had at the time.

One new thing I've learned on this venture. Still worth it!

1 comment:

  1. that stinks! i guess i didn't know the exchange rate fluctuated so much... although i should have, as i lived in mexico for a summer and it definitely did there!

    but, at least you're now a stamped lifetime member at comicbookrealm!!! :)

    ReplyDelete